Monday, October 27, 2008

Exponents

The day after tomorrow, I will be 21. Childhood is over. It's tempting to sublimate my alarm to thoughts of "21 is merely a socially constructed abstraction with little relevance to benchmarks of growth and maturity in your own life; only you get to decide when your childhood is over." But eventually, you have to concede to the rules.

One of my most vivid memories from elementary school was turning eight. At some point right before my birthday, I was at school (I remember the exact spot) and I thought to myself, "I will be twice as old as I was when I was four." That seemed astounding to me.

Now I'm throttling towards adulthood. Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

That's noble of you but I think I'll keep on fighting the future a little longer.

I think I will like you just the same though, even if you are 21.